Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What to make for breakfast???

I am always looking for new and healthy things to make for breakfast in the morning, for both my husband and I and our kids.  With the new school year starting, I made a vow to myself to get up earlier so I am better prepared in the morning to offer the kids something better than just a granola bar or cold cereal.  Although, I am sure on most days that is what they are going to want.  I want to make sure I have other options.  The hardest part for me is to be up early enough to have it ready for them.

When making my list of breakfast options for the kids I came across a few good lists and websites that I would like to share.  If you have good breakfast ideas that you would like to share I would love to hear them!

1.   Berry-Fresh Parfait: This can be a fun recipe to make together! It can be prepared the night before, too. Put it in a plastic cup, if breakfast needs to be eaten in the car or on the bus. Just layer your child’s favorite flavor of low-sugar yogurt with granola and colorful fruit like strawberries, kiwi, blueberries or peaches. Small children can help by adding pre-sliced fruit to the cup or bowl.
  • I love this one because it can be prepared the night before.  I just received a Magic Bullet from my sister and I am excited to make smoothies, etc. Hopefully the kids like them!

2. Oatmeal Happy Face: Oatmeal can go from “yucky” to “yummy” by adding some fun faces made with raisins, bits of dried apricots, cherries and nuts. Just serve plain old fashioned oatmeal in a bowl, and give your child the option of creating a fun face on top with dried fruit and nuts. When the “artwork” is complete, add a bit of maple syrup, and watch breakfast be devoured!
  • I think the little girls will like this the most!  We also make malt-0-meal which probably isn't as good for you as oatmeal but it is another option.

3.  Wrap It Up! Eggs and cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla is a nutritious “to-go” breakfast. The egg and cheese mix can even be scrambled the night before. Just put it in a sealed container. When you’re ready to wrap and roll, warm the eggs and cheese, put some into the tortilla, and you’re done!
  • The is one of my favorites!  I often make them with ham, onions, green peppers and sometimes bacon bits.  They are quick and easy!  Of course there is always the regular eggs, toast and some sort of protein as well.  We normally save that for the weekends though.

4. 3-Minute Muesli: This 3-minute recipe is super-healthy and fun to make with kids. The recipe lasts for three days, so it’s ready whenever you are! Check out my recipe and “how-to” video at http://www.voiceofreason.net/.


5. Mmm-Mmm-Good Muffins: Kids love to stir, so helping make oatmeal-blueberry, corn-peach muffins will be lots of fun for them. Scooping batter into muffin cups is also a safe and easy way to get kids involved in cooking.
  • The kids love muffins!  Most of the time though I just buy the muffin mixes that you just have to add water or milk - how easy is that!! 

6. Pile-O-Fruit: Always keep mixed, fresh, cut fruit on hand. Scooped into a bowl and drizzled with honey (and maybe topped with granola), fruit makes a delicious breakfast.
  • All of us love fruit so this is a win in our house.  The only thing with fresh fruit is that it can get spendy!

7. Way-To-Go-Waffle: Whole grain waffles are a good source of nutrition. Topped with sliced bananas or berries, this colorful meal is irresistible!
  • French toast, waffles, pancakes and French Toast sticks are something that all of us love as well.  Sometimes I make a whole loaf of french toast and freeze it and then just bring up what I need for the day.  It takes a little time to prepare but then you have it done already and just need to heat to eat.

8. Cereal: Low sugar cereals can be made more exciting (and tasty) with the addition of berries, nuts, dried fruit or whatever else your child might like. Just have healthy “add-ins” on hand, and he’ll feel proud when he creates his own concoction of goodies.
  • I am trying to get the kids to eat more low sugar cereals.  We will get there someday.  Honeynut cherrios is the closest we've got so far.

9. Shake-Rattle-‘n’-Roll: Nothing is quicker than a shake make with milk, fruit and honey. The natural sweetness is irresistible! Just have your child pick the types of fruit she’d like, control the “on” and “off” switches of the blender, and voila! She’ll be drinking her fruit in no time.


10. Bagel-icious: Whole grain bagels, whole grain English muffins and raisin bread are each tempting when slathered with peanut butter, apple and pear butter or other preserves. High in protein, this is a dynamite way to start the day!
  • Our son loves bagels so this works great for him.  I have been buying the bagel thins lately and really like them.  They are about half as thick as a normal bagel and half the calories.  I toast them and put a little peanut butter on them - yummy!  And only about 3 WW points!

 
Above info from Modernmom.com:
 
 
Other ideas:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment